Monday, December 12, 2011

Reflections on the Saxapahaw Holiday Market

The Saxapahaw Holiday Market was this past weekend, and I had an absolute blast showing off some of my local detecting finds!  The community was very supportive, and quite interested in what I've recovered from sites all around Saxapahaw and surrounding towns.  I met a lot of wonderful people, with some great questions and engaging conversation.  It was neat having folks come up to me and say "Hi, I read your blog!"  It was so much fun sharing our town's history.

I also got to see all the wonderful creations of the other market vendors.  Some of them I have known in the past, like local artist Steve Durland, Sue from Roxy Farms Antiques, and Heather and Tom from the Haw River Ballroom and Cup22 Coffee Shop (all of whom have let me detect their historic properties).  I got to meet some new friends, too, like local artist Rose Rosely, whose work is really fun and creative.  There were lots of other local businesses represented, including Out of the Fire clay sculpture, Metaform Movement, the Haw River Canoe and Kayak Co., and more.


It was great seeing the whole community come together for a celebration like this.  It was an amazing experience - it just felt like home.  I really do love it here in Saxapahaw, North Carolina.  It was great meeting many of you there, and for those who missed it, here are some images of my displays (more below the fold).  Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy!  Merry Christmas, happy holidays, and God bless you all.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent display, I wish I could have seen it in person. I especially like how you pair relics with photos showing how they appeared while in use. You're a great ambassador on behalf of the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, shucks, Jim!
    A lot of those displays were born out of preparing displays for the TRR meetings. I find it makes the relics much more relatable when you can see them in use.

    ReplyDelete