Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Local History Notes

Hey everyone!  Today's post will be a few updates for our local readers, while tomorrow I will have an article geared more towards detector enthusiasts. 

I'd first like to extend a huge CONGRATULATIONS to The Haw River Ballroom for being given the Carraway Award of Merit by Preservation North Carolina.  Heather and Tom have done an amazing job restoring the dye room at the Saxapahaw river mill into a simply gorgeous music hall and event space, while still keeping the heritage of the historic building.  This was no easy feat, but they have really done a fabulous job.  And if that isn't good enough, the blended drinks at the ballroom's coffee shop Cup 22 are top notch, so be sure to stop in and have one!  Congrats again!


I'd like to extend a special thank you to Doug Williams, a resident of Saxapahaw who has helped me researching the William P. Morrow House just outside Saxapahaw.  You'll be hearing much more about this house in future updates as I feature some of my past finds.  Doug was essential in restoring the circa 1855 house, and in the process came into possession of a book called The Book of Poetry: Illustrated with Engravings on Wood, published by the Presbyterian Board of Publications in the 1850's.  The book was inscribed by Martha A. Morrow in 1856, and research has confirmed that she was attending Edgeworth Female Seminary in Greensboro at the time.  Doug kindly allowed me to take the book to the UNC library system for preservation.  They were very interested in it, and I recently heard back that it has been accepted into the prestigious North Carolina Collection library.  The NC Collection has been instrumental in much of my research of local history, and it feels good to be a part of giving back to them.  Thank you again, Doug, for contributing to our public resource for historic preservation!


It seems like web traffic is picking up a bit, so once again I'd like to invite you all to join the Detecting Saxapahaw facebook page.  Also, don't forget that I can't find old relics without old locations - so if you own older properties in central North Carolina or know someone who does, and would like to talk about having that history featured here, feel free to email me!

No comments:

Post a Comment