Thursday, October 27, 2011

Recent and Upcoming Events

Hey everyone!  I thought I'd let you know, I probably won't have a lot of time to detect in the next two weeks.  Don't worry, I won't leave you without posting - and I'll have a mega-update in mid-November.  I'm getting everything in order to attend the "Diggin' in Virginia XIX" event on the weekend of November 11th.  DIV is an invitational group relic hunt held in or around Culpeper, Virginia.  Hundreds of relic hunters from around the country will be gathered on 500+ acres of Civil War battle sites and long-term camps.  (All sites are on private property with owners permission, of course).  The event will consist of three days of metal detecting, hut excavation, a lecture on the Civil War history of the site, and seminars covering modern improvements in metal detecting technology and techniques.  I can't wait!!  I will have lots of pictures and video to share with you all when I get back, and hopefully some more interesting relics from the War Between the States.

In other news, I attended the monthly meeting of the Triangle Relic Recovery club on Tuesday, which is always a blast.  I got to see some friends and a few new faces, as well as a host of great relics and coins on display.  I was very fortunate to have been voted the "best display" at the meeting (I have an upcoming post planned on my latest budget display project) as well as 1st place for the "best relic" of the month, the Virginia State Seal button with original thread found here at Victory Calls Stables.  I also received second place for the "best coin" category with my 1927 Standing Liberty Quarter.  First place went to Ken with an outstanding pocket spill - three barber quarters found in the same hole.  Way to go Ken! 

I hadn't been paying much attention to year-end-award points, but I did quite well at both this meeting and the last one, which brought me up to second place overall.  I'm still quite a ways behind my hunting partner Brad for first, but it's possible if I come up with a couple of really great finds this month.  I'm going to try!  But the third-place hunter (John from my Bentonville trips) is an experienced and consistent detectorist, and he won't make it easy for me to hold on to 2nd place.  A little friendly competition can be quite motivating!

While I can't get out detecting much until DIV (and during some of the colder months ahead) I'll be focusing my posts on research and previous finds.  I still have a lot of history in my collection that I'd like to share with you all as the months go by.  If there's anything in particular you'd like to hear more about, please let me know in the comments section below or email me.  Thanks for looking, and God Bless!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your awards and good luck on your upcoming hunt. I can't wait to see what you find and I can't wait to see what other relics you have to share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Anything in particular you want to hear about? Coins? Gold? CW stuff? Civilian relics? Ooo, maybe a post on buttons soon could be fun?

    Pick yer poison, I'm taking requests LOL

    And for those other than Pulltab, you can chime in with requests, too. But also go check out Pulltab's AWESOME find at his blog. Gratz man!

    ReplyDelete